Another year has come full circle and I find myself celebrating my 46th birthday. Wow! Sometimes the passing of time is hard to believe. My dad once told me that “the days can be long but the years will grow shorter as you age.” As usual he is right. It seems like yesterday I was wide eyed kid playing with my friends and day dreaming about my future. While I never did become President or Secretary of State (there’s still time), soar through the universe as an astronaut, solve major crimes for Interpol, play either professional baseball or football, or lead troops as a great general, I’ve had a rich full life. Today is a day to count my many blessings:
- Two healthy, happy, loving children who amaze me every day with their smarts, creativity and good nature;
- A large caring family who to a person I’ve never once doubted their love and support for me;
- A large number of good friends (old and new) who make my life richer and much more enjoyable;
- Family members and friends who have passed but left a positive indelible mark on my life;
- A long list of pet dogs who have filled my life with joy and unconditional love;
- A long list of talented teachers and professors who opened up new worlds to me and encouraged me to expand my definition of what’s possible;
- Meaningful work that I love doing and genuinely makes me feel like I am making a positive difference;
- Many professional colleagues who continue to inspire and educate me;
- The community I live in, which is a constant source of neighborly good will, fun and contentment;
- A lifelong love of music and literature that continues to fill me with wonder, awe, serenity and joy;
- Pride in my ancestral heritage that allows me to feel connected to the world in a larger way and have a strong sense of personal identity and pride;
- The opportunity to travel and see the world at a young age (thanks dad) which left a lasting impression on me and greatly expanded my worldview;
- A country that for all its flaws is still an amazing place to live and allows me to be a an individual free to make my own choices and take and advantage of unlimited opportunities;
- A strong foundation of faith (thanks mom) that continues to inspire me to be a better person and has also allowed me to navigate the troubled waters of life without losing my way;
- A long-term love that while it did not last forever made me a better person, gave me my children, provided me with many happy memories and introduced me to a large number of other wonderful people.
In the hustle and bustle of everyday living it’s easy to lose sight of how blessed we truly are in life. I’ve always believed that everyone’s life is novel and we are all the protagonist of our own story. I, for one, am happy how my story has turned out to date. Sure there have been disappointments, pains and sorrows, but that is as it should be. Not everything works out as planned. We learn from our misfortunes as much if not more than our good fortune. Ultimately, our character is formed because of the journey not in spite of it! I am blessed more than any man could hope for where I stand today. Thank you to all of you who have touched my life in significant ways.
Happy Easter and Passover!